The Monastery of Megali Panagia, located 2 kilometers outside the village Koumaradaioi, was built in 1586. It is one of the wealthiest and most beautiful monasteries in Samos. It was founded by the monks Dionysos and Neilos and it is devoted to the apostles Peter and Paul. It is built in line with the Byzantine patterns (it is cross-shaped and has a dome) and it is famed for its wall-paintings and its woodcut icon-screen. From 1821 to 1834 the monastery provided shelter to Lykourgos Logothetis, the archbishop Cyrillos and many others.